The Halifax Area 225th Anniversary Celebration
The Halifax Area Historical Scavenger Hunt: A Photographic Exploration
The Winners are:
Single Entry: Hailey Walker
Team Entry: Jesse and Phoebe Heath
Answers and Photographs will be posted soon…
Time travel to the past…by going on an exploration through decades of Halifax Area history.
We will provide a list of clues related to the sites in and around Halifax for you to put your knowledge to the test as you search for the answers.
Participation will include a mixture of walking and driving in order to cover the Halifax Area.
The Halifax Area Historical Scavenger Hunt: A Photographic Exploration Clues
Take pictures of 8 of clues in order to be entered into a prize drawing
- This location was a strategic site on the Pennsylvania frontier.
- This stone marker notes the location of a historic and uniquely shaped local church. The church itself is no longer standing.
- Released in the fall of 1913, the western drama “At the Sign of the Lost Angel,” was shown here.
- Formerly, Charles C. Baker’s Funeral Home and Furniture Store.
- A historic homestead dating back to 1769, the property bears the name of the original owner.
- Recently remodeled, this 1970s era building is home to an organization that was founded in the early 20th century, just after an incident that occurred in Mr. Meckley’s barn.
- Once the home of an American Revolution veteran, this site now serves as a local restaurant.
- Take a photograph overlooking the Susquehanna River and the local area from a bridge that is not over water.
- It was robbed on March 14, 1901.
- The largest Eastern Cottonwood east of the Mississippi.
- You can find artifacts from the old Odd Fellows building here.
- Often noted as a hidden gem in the Halifax Area, this site on the way out of Powell’s Valley is noted for its history and its steaks.
- Formed by a Lutheran and Reformed Congregation in 1824, it is sometimes referred to as Bowerman’s Church for the family who donated part of the land.
- Fort Halifax Park
2. Beehive Church Marker
3. The Royal Theater, currently the Village Laundry
4. Ender’s Corner Ice Cream
5. Armstrong Valley Winery
6. Fisherville Fire Station
7. Doughboy’s Pizza
8, Overlook at the Appalachian Trail on top of Peter’s Mountain
9. The Old Halifax Bank
10. Eastern Cottonwood Tree in Halifax Borough
11. Halifax Area Historical Society
12. Carsonville Hotel
13. Bowerman’s Church